We work in partnership with Scottish Disability Sport to provide training and competition opportunities for athletes with a physical, sensory or learning disability, which will allow them to take part in athletics and reach their full potential.
This page will give you an introduction to the support we can provide. Using the menu on the left you can also find information on eligibility and classification for competing in para-athletics.
Support for athletes
We provide a pathway for para athletes from beginner right through to high performance, providing local and national competitions and fun festivals for all. We also help to link athletes with mainstream or disability-specific clubs and coaches to provide better training opportunities for all concerned.
You can also visit the British Athletics website for details of their Paralympic Performance Pathway, event calendar and information on national classification.
Support for coaches, volunteers, teachers and others
Scottish Disability Sport delivers disability awareness training and inclusion training, while scottishathletics delivers workshops to coaches, volunteers, teachers and Active Schools co-ordinators. The workshops available include:
- How to coach athletes with a disability
- Coaching wheelchair racers and race runners
- Seated throws
- Guide running
Aims and Objectives
- To increase the number of elite athletes with a disability competing in future Paralympic and Commonwealth Games.
- To increase the number of Scottish athletes selected for Team GB in Paralympic Games and major championships, as well as for the Scotland Team at the Commonwealth Games.
- To increase the number of athletes participating in the Scottish Disability Sport National Championships and in the National Squad.
- To increase the number of competitions and integrated competitions for podium potential and squad athletes.
- To increase the number of talent ID Days and Para Sport Festivals and link athletes to clubs.
- To increase the number of integrated events for more local competition opportunities for athletes.
- To link athletes from schools to local athletic clubs, providing better links into the competition structure for the athletes.
- To increase the opportunity for athletes to train under the supervision of experienced coaches.
For more information