Assistant officials award

3.5 hour course

This award offers an introduction to officiating at a Track & Field or Sportshall competition and covers the basics in all disciplines. You will learn the specific judging principles of throws, jumps, track judging, timekeeping and starting. The course is designed to enable you to work within a team to develop key skills and a basic understanding of the fundamental rules of officiating.

This course is delivered in both theoretical and practical elements covering:

  • The responsibilities and role of an assistant official
  • How to measure and record times and distances
  • Communicating with athletes and other officials
  • Ensuring safety and reporting concerns
  • Following procedures and applying basic rules

Who should go on this course?

Anyone over the age of 14 who is interested in assisting and would like a better understanding of the key areas of officiating at Track & Field Competitions.

How do I book on this course?

  • Check the Courses for Officials page for dates or contact your Club Together Officer
  • Fill in the Education Booking form provided on the course page
  • Post booking form together with a passport size photograph and payment to scottishathletics

What happens after the course?

After completing the course you will need to gain experience by assisting at Track & Field or Sportshall Competitions under the supervision of a qualified UKA technical official. You will need to keep a record of each competition you help out at and fill in a Record Evidence Form (Link) and have it signed by a qualified UKA official or an appropriate teacher if at a schools event.

In addition, if you are over 16 years of age you will need to complete a PVG form (Protecting Vulnerable Groups). This form can be obtained from your club welfare officer or email scottishathletics at

Once you have received your PVG certificate and completed a minimum of two experiences, then send your completed form to – Shona Malcolm, Caledonia House, South Gyle, Edinburgh, EH12 9DQ. An assistant official’s licence can then be requested.


Expand Social Feeds