Level 1 Track Course
Start Date: 23 January 2024
End Date: 23 January 2024
Time: 6pm till 8:30pm
Duration: 2.5 hours
Places left: See Athletics Hub
Venue: Meadowbank Stadium
Tutor: Alistair Aitchison & Joyce Wighton
Course Code 24OFFL1T01
Who should go on this course?
Anyone over the age of 16 who is interested in officiating the track events and learning how to take finishing position and report any racing incidents. This course covers all track events sprints, hurdles, Steeplechase, distance events and relays.
What will I learn?
- How to work as part of a team of track officials at an athletics meeting and carry out the basic duties of a track judge/umpire.
- Knowing what equipment, you need to have with you at an athletics meeting to enable you to carry out your duties throughout the meeting.
- Have an understand of what a track judge/umpire should record in relation to what is seen without being influenced by anyone else.
- To have a basic knowledge of track markings particularly the finishing line (how to judge the finish) and lane lines.
- To carry out the basic duties such as – judging, lap board and bell, break line, relay take over judge, hurdle observation, umpiring for observing running out of lane or impeding other athletes and what these involve.
All courses will be delivered in an interactive practical and lecture setting.
Is there an assessment?
There isn’t an assessment but after the course candidates need to complete a Minimum of 4 competition experiences to become licensed. Candidates must have completed the online Health & Safety and Safeguarding modules for Officials.