Starting a junior section – FAQ
If your question isn’t answered below, please contact a member of the scottishathletics Development Team.
What are the minimum number of qualified coaches and level of coach we need to start a junior section?
- Minimum of one Level 2+ or equivalent – either an Athletics Coach (AC) qualification (all age ranges) or a Coach in Running Fitness qualification (off-track 12 years +)
Can a Coaching Assistant (CA) lead sessions?
- Yes, but the UKA Level 2 or above must be in the venue whilst the Coaching Assistant is coaching.
- The AC should create the plan and subsequent session plan for the CA to deliver.
Are there age limits on any qualifications?
- Yes, Coach in Running Fitness (CiRF) is for coaches working with athletes over the age of 12 years. This is due to the specific nature of the qualification, off-track running and the developmental stage of athletes under this age.
Are there any events that a qualified Athletics Coach cannot deliver?
- Yes, Hammer, Discus, Pole Vault, Triple Jump
How do the coaches become qualified to coach these events?
- Each of these events have add-on modules that can be done online. Once complete the events are added to the coach’s licence.
- Hammer, discus and pole vault require an additional observed practical assessment.
What are the recommended ratios for coaches to athletes?
- The recommended ratio is 1:12, but this is the maximum number in terms of ratio.
- Examples of a clubs ratios may look like this: –
- Under 13 years, doing multi events – 1:12
- Event Group Stage (13-16) – 1:6
- Event Specialists (16-Senior) – 1:3
Do we need to PVG Disclosure check our volunteers?
- All coaches MUST complete a PVG Disclosure if they are coaching in a club with junior members.
- Only volunteers that are engaged in regulated work should complete a PVG Disclosure – the Disclosure Scotland self-assessment tool will help you decide if this applies to you.
What are the additional positions that a club may need to add to their committee?
- Welfare Officer – Child Protection Officer
- Coach Coordinator – Support Coach
- Team Manager – Leagues/ competitions